Monday, April 21, 2014

Breaking news: God loves me, among others

My mother-in-law, Marjorie, is a resident of a long-term care facility in the Fraser Valley of British Columbia. Just under a year ago (ironically on her late husband's birthday) she suffered a stroke and is now pretty incapacitated, although still able to find small pleasures in life. She's 96. Until she was 94, she had never spent a night in a hospital except while having her five children.

Yesterday being Easter Sunday, a local Mennonite church put on a nice little service at the home. It consisted mostly of hymns that the residents there would have likely sung back in the days that they can still remember, as well as a few brief remarks from the pastor.

In the front row of the little gathering was a sweet old woman, still remarkably straight in her wheelchair, whose earlier, healthier life you could imagine if you looked past the wasting effect of age. I learned that she was 104. One of my mother-in-law's neighbours in her wing of the residence was also in the "congregation". Her late husband was a minister, as are her son and daughter. She couldn't be more cheerful and friendly. She often remarks upon how bad her memory has become. Every time I see her, she tells me that she is 94.

These three dear ladies plus about 20-30 other residents, accompanied by a few family members, sang along as best they could. What I found particularly poignant was the choice of songwriter Bill Gaither's Because He Lives I Can Face Tomorrow.

And then one day, I'll cross the river,
I'll fight life's final war with pain;
And then, as death gives way to vict'ry,
I'll see the lights of glory and I'll know He lives.


What do such words mean when one is 94? or 96? or 104? How much do they think about those final days, I wondered. I may have been slightly teary-eyed as I mused on this question.

Quite unexpectedly, my mind turned from such melancholy thoughts to the blinding realization that in God's eyes I am of no more dignity and worth than all of those old folks in the long-term care facility, including the ones who have Alzheimer's and have to be locked in to prevent bolting; the folks who lie back in their wheelchairs with jaws permanently dropped; the ones who stare vacantly at the television screen; and the dear old soul that constantly wheels herself up and down the halls and calls me nurse.  God loves each of them as fully and with as much appreciation and respect as he does me, my spouse, and my kids. I found this both humbling and exhilarating.

I was struck almost speechless (no Sutherland is every entirely speechless) at the thought that I don't have to do anything to merit God's love. If I spent the rest of my days behind a locked door, or nailed to a bed of suffering, or always looking for the nurse, he couldn't love me more. John Milton said it best:

When I consider how my light is spent
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,

And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodg'd with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present

My true account, lest he returning chide,
"Doth God exact day-labour, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies: "God doth not need
Either man's work or his own gifts: who best
Bear his mild yoke, they serve him best. His state
Is kingly; thousands at his bidding speed
And post o'er land and ocean without rest:
They also serve who only stand and wait."

Milton, On His Blindness

Now in keeping with my present exploration and my theological opinions, I believe that what is true of me is equally true of all God's creatures: Caucasian or other; straight or other; male or other; healthy or other; in one's right mind or other; Christian or other; smart, average or struggling; able or challenged; productive or kept from being productive; aware of our God or not--all are precious in his sight. No change, no striving, no further merit is necessary. God's nature is to love; his desire is to love; his greatest wish is to see all of his creatures through to all that they were meant to be. He has given himself eternity to accomplish this.

Yet, there are those who decide that being in that circle of God's love is insufficient, or unimportant, perhaps even unwanted. They reject the need for God in pursuing their full potential. God never gives up on them, but they may give up on God. Because of God's commitment to free will, these people will be left with the consequences of their choices. But not because God wants it that way.

He loves me. And you. And all those people who don't know about him, or have been given a very distorted picture of him. Bask in the light and warmth of that reality.

A very blessed Easter to you all.







       






      







































No comments:

Post a Comment