Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Are there butter tarts in heaven?

I don't know, maybe I'm an open book, or maybe there is a grapevine for such trivia. But the great thing is that I was deluged with butter tarts over the Christmas season. I had announced before a church potluck that anyone could feel free to bring along butter tarts if they wanted to gain serious points with me. Subsequently I made a remark in Facebook about wanting to get tart-faced over the holidays. The next thing I knew, three different lovely people gave us butter tarts as Christmas gifts, and our hostess at a dinner party served those same luscious, if completely unhealthy, temptations for dessert.

[Anyone reading this post now should know that my appetite for these little gifts from the culinary gods is never satiated.]

Perhaps because I am presently fixated on what heaven is like, I began to wonder if there are butter tarts in heaven. Or prime rib dinners with Yorkshire pudding? Or hockey? Or fine wines? Or great theatre? Or the Oregon Coast? Or mystery novels?

For that matter, are there accoutants (presumably with personalities in the heavenly state)? Engineers? Strategic managers? Artistic directors? Choirmasters? Writers? Butter tart bakers?

And how about families? Loved ones? People of various ages?

Travel? Hobbies? Games?

Talents?

Needs?

Or do we float on clouds and play harps?

I'll do a little survey of my vast readership first. This will give me time to come to an opinion.

Maybe I'd better make that a pretty long survey.

3 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure there won't be prime rib. Serving it requires that an animal die and there won't be death. The Bible is fairly clear on that point.

    I also would be prepared to bet (also no betting in heaven?) that there won't be butter tarts (sorry). I expect our diet will be the same as in the Garden of Eden - see Gen 1:29 - 30. We, and all the animals will eat grains and plants. The lion will lay down with the lamb, not eat it (although - to be fair, that isn't actually said in the Bible - it refers to the wolf and lamb. See Isaiah 65:17-25.)

    If is any consolation, I'm also pretty sure that whatever we eat (assuming we eat), will be perfect and have more flavour and be more satisfying that anything we can presently imagine.

    Choirmasters? Yes. Accountants? Why - to count the bricks in the streets of gold? Lawyers? Who among them could possibly make it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. One lawyer made it. St. Peter was quite excited, not only because a member of the legal profession had actually shown up at the Pearly Gates but because, according to the heavenly records, he was 147 years old. "Oh, I'm only 78," admitted the lawyer. "Those are my billable hours."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete